Monday, October 13, 2008

Pini Dunner - Handbill Defending the Use of the Corfu Etrogim

Pini Dunner B.A (Hons), formerly rabbi of London's Saatchi Synagogue, is an avid collector of polemical and controversial Hebraica, with a very large, diverse private collection of such material. Many items in his collection are unknown and unrecorded, and relate to long forgotten, obscure controversies.


This is Pini Dunner's third post at the Seforim blog. His first post, "Mercaz Agudat Ha-Rabbanim Be-Lita, Kovno, 1931," is available here; his second post, "Unknown Picture of the late Lubavitcher Rebbe, c.1930s," is available here.


For background on the controversy over Corfu etrogim, see Yosef Salomon, "The Controversies Regarding the Corfu and Eretz Yisrael Etrogim 1875-1891," Zion 65.1 (2000): 75-106; Yosef Salomon, "The Controversy Regarding the Corfu Etrogim and its Historical Significance," AJS Review 25 (2000-2001): 1-25; Yitzhak Refael, "Corfu Etrogim and Eretz Yisrael Etrogim," Sheragi 2 (1985), 84-90; Dan Porat, "The Controversy over Israeli Etrogim from 1875-1889," (MA thesis, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1993); H. Hamel, "R. Yosef Zehariah Stern's Position in the Corfu Etrogim Controversy," in Sefer Refael (Jerusalem, 2000), 242-251. For a brief discussion about the broadsides authored by R. Gershon Henoch Leiner and his son R. Mordechai Joseph Eliezer Leiner of Izbica-Radzin that were posted throughout Poland, see Pearl Preschel, "The Jews of Corfu," (PhD dissertation, New York University, 1984), 111-112, 113-114, 159.


Regarding the Russian text at the bottom of the broadside, the following is a translation that was obligatory to appear on all non-Russian books:
Condemnation by M.I.Leiner of those rabbis, which, as the revenge for the dwellers of the Greek islands for the disturbances on the island of Corfu, prohibited the paradise apples originating from those islands for using them in the religious ceremony of the holiday of Sukkot.
Included is a protest letter by the rabbi of Corfu about the matter.
---------------------------
Permitted by the censorship, Warsaw, 15 July 1891 -- printing of M.I. Galter Nalevki [St.] 23.

for post
Handbill Defending the Use of the Corfu Etrogim authored by R. Mordechai Joseph Eliezer Leiner of Izbica-Radzin  published in Izbica, July 1891


This broadside contains a vigourous and impassioned defence of the practice of using etrogim from Corfu in preference to those from Eretz Yisrael. For centuries the most prized etrogim used by Jews of all communities were those grown in Corfu, and the etrog industry on the island was a mainstay of the local economy. It was said that the etrogim grown in Corfu traced their origins to those used during the second temple period, and were therefore of the most reliable pedigree. The untainted pedigree of an etrog is of primary importance, and as a result Corfu etrogim were highly sought after, making them expensive. Furthermore, the owners of the orchards - many of them non-Jews - fiercely guarded their monopolies, and were extremely careful that their etrogim were of unimpeachable pedigree.


This broadside was issued as a result of the drift away from using etrogim grown on the island of Corfu in the late nineteenth century. Initially this began with a ban on their use that was issued c.1875 and that had its roots in the growing suspicion that Corfu etrogim were no longer reliable in their pedigree and that growers had secretly begun grafting them with other citrus fruits to boost the numbers of fruit that were fit for use, and in addition would be outstanding in their appearance, boosting their value.


Then in 1891, the year of this broadside, the ban against Corfu etrogim was strengthened as a result of the terrible anti-semitism on the island that had led to a vicious blood libel. Jewish communities formerly loyal to Corfu etrogim switched their allegiances to the ever expanding etrogim market of Eretz Yisrael and it was this that R. Leiner was trying to prevent. R. Leiner (1877-1929) was the scion of the Izbica/Radzyn dynasty and in this broadside he quotes his recently departed father, R. Gershon Henoch (1839-1891), the famous 'Baal ha-Techeilet', as saying that there were no better and more kosher etrogim than those that grew in Corfu. He added that those grown in Eretz Yisrael were probably unfit for use and, furthermore, the excuse that they provided income for poor farmers there was utterly inappropriate in light of their unfitness. He added that the chief rabbi of Corfu, R. Elisha mi-Pano, had written to him to say that the ban effected against Corfu etrogim (the annual market for etrogim was of major economic significance to the small island) as a result of the blood libel was making matters worse for the Jews of Corfu.


Despite attemps by R. Leiner and other advocates of Corfu etrogim, the Corfu etrog business went into terminal decline. By the early twentieth century the rival industry in Eretz Yisrael had grabbed the overwhelming majority of the etrogim market, and with the upheaval of the two world wars, and following the creation of the State of Israel, Corfu etrogim disappeared completely from the scene.


Recently, I understand, there has been some effort to revive the fortunes of the Corfu etrog. It would seem that an emissary of R. David Twersky of New Square annually acquires etrogim from Corfu for R. Twersky to use on sukkot. No doubt this action is motivated by R. Twersky's well-known desire to strictly follow the customs of his illustrious forebears who, in the years when the etrogim controversy raged, were devotees of Corfu etrogim over their Eretz Yisrael counterparts. Nevertheless, as any etrog grower will tell you, once an etrog orchard has been abandoned, any fruit that emerge from it in the years that follow, especially if many years pass, no longer have a chezkat kashrut, and more than likely they are murkavim. It would be interesting to know if R. Twersky makes a bracha on these questionable etrogim, or if he first uses an etrog of reliable pedigree and then switches to the murkav simply for sentimental purposes.

 


28 comments:

Borschel said...

The firm that's creating special Hoodia, requires satisfaction in the truth that it will come directly from Southern Africa. If you've picked some pointers about Hoodia that you can put into action, then by all means, do so. Some companies now pack hoodia gordonii into a non-gelatinous vegecap. Of international trade special training course. Floyd county police found three xanax in a residence after the resident consented to a search, according to a report at the floyd county jail.

Julierncj said...

A well planned diet along with daily workout routine is very important. Although details are sparse, there does appear to be much evidence that shows that hoodia does not curb appetite on nearly the same level when too many carbohydrates are still being consumed in the diet. It's a plant we've taken out of the wild and we're starting to grow it,' says MacWilliam. So, the drug companies are out of this market and the product is being sold by a few big independent distributors instead. Here is a piece of the transcript from 60 Minutes (aired in Nov 2004):

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about same. Regards

Here is my homepage: Michael Kors Outlet

Anonymous said...

I think this is among the most vital info for me. And i am glad reading your article.
But want to remark on few general things, The site
style is wonderful, the articles is really great : D.
Good job, cheers

Feel free to visit my web-site: explorethecapabilities.com

Anonymous said...

After exploring a handful of the blog articles
on your site, I honestly like your technique of writing a blog.
I book-marked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back in the
near future. Please visit my website as well and tell me how you feel.


Feel free to surf to my weblog ... Air Jordan

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This article couldn't be written much better! Looking at this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept preaching about this. I most certainly will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. I appreciate you for sharing!

My website slc-wireless.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you're a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back from now on. I want to encourage you to continue your great posts, have a nice afternoon!

Feel free to surf to my web-site ... Christian Louboutin Heels

Anonymous said...

I was recommended this web site via my cousin. I'm now not certain whether this post is written by him as no one else know such precise approximately my problem. You're wonderful!
Thanks!

Visit my site - Click This Link [www.qvp.name]

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do
it for you? Plz reply as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thank you

my web page; Nike Free Sko

Anonymous said...

I every time used to study article in news papers but now as I am a user of net so
from now I am using net for content, thanks to web.

Take a look at my blog: Nike Air Max ()

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired!
Very useful information particularly the last phase :
) I care for such information much. I used to be seeking
this particular info for a very lengthy time. Thanks
and best of luck.

Stop by my blog post :: Louis Vuitton Purses

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this
blog loading? I'm trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to surf to my web site :: Sac Louis Vuitton Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.


Review my web page - nike Air max

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you
so much, However I am encountering troubles with your RSS.
I don't understand the reason why I can't join it. Is there anybody else getting the same RSS problems?
Anyone who knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanx!

!

my web-site Louis Vuitton Handbags

Anonymous said...

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article.
I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info.
Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.


Here is my page how to sell beats (http://www.beyonddelay.com)

Anonymous said...

Pretty section of content. I simply stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I get actually loved account your blog posts.
Any way I'll be subscribing on your augment or even I achievement you get admission to persistently quickly.

Feel free to surf to my site: Boutique Air Jordan

Anonymous said...

Very energetic article, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?



Here is my web site :: Chaussures De Foot

Anonymous said...

hey there and thank you for your info – I've definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical points using this website, as I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I'm complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect
your placement in google and can damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords.

Anyway I'm adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective fascinating content. Make sure you update this again soon.

Here is my page ... Chaussures Foot (smu-fr.org)

Anonymous said...

What's up i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this paragraph i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible article.

Also visit my page - Abercrombie Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

Asking questions are truly good thing if you are not understanding something entirely, but this paragraph gives good
understanding yet.

Feel free to visit my site: Nike Free Tilbud

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate
you penning this article and also the rest of the site is extremely good.


Look into my website Michael Kors

Anonymous said...

It's truly a great and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Also visit my homepage :: additional info (wiki.chunkycraft.com)

Anonymous said...

Great post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?
I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thanks!

my web-site: Wholesael NFL Jerseys

Anonymous said...

What's up, after reading this amazing article i am too cheerful to share my know-how here with friends.

Here is my blog Nike ID

Anonymous said...

of course like your website however you need to test the spelling on several of your
posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and
I to find it very troublesome to inform the reality however I will
definitely come again again.

Look at my web blog Air Max UK (www.whatsot.com)

Anonymous said...

Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm
going to start my own blog soon but I'm having a tough time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I'm looking
for something completely unique. P.
S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!


my web blog - Nike Black Blazers

Anonymous said...

That is really attention-grabbing, You're a very professional blogger. I have joined your feed and sit up for seeking more of your magnificent post. Additionally, I've shared your website in my social networks

Look into my web-site; Sac Guess Pas Cher - -

Anonymous said...

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all people you really recognise what you're talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also talk over with my site =). We will have a link trade contract between us

Here is my web site Air Jordan

Print post

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...